Integrated SimplyOrder and Customer Service Training
Project Background and Description
Exclusive Clothes and Gifts (ECG) seeks training that will alleviate customer service issues (with a current goal of 10% improvement in customer service scores) and employee dissatisfaction (as measured through informal polling). The proposed training solution would enable ECG to meet their aggressive profit goals and financial objectives (increased sales via catalog and internet orders; increased customer lists; and doubling of net profit).
The management team believes that increased knowledge and skill of telephone operators and supervisors in describing the features and benefits of the products and to provide enhanced details (not available in the catalog) is key to increasing catalog sales and reducing customer complaints.
Mike Merrill, Vice-President of Sales at ECG agreed that ECG will be best served by EduCadre by allowing the team to conduct a thorough gap analysis, including both performance and training needs assessment, to ensure that the developed training meets their financial, customer satisfaction, and employee satisfaction and engagement goals.
EduCadre conducted a thorough performance analysis to determine whether, in fact, a training solution will solve the performance issue or whether an alternative solution could improve the performance issue. In the course of our analysis, we identified two critical needs that could effectively addressed via training:
1) A new telephone/ordering system will soon be implemented (SimplyOrder) and 2) Telephone operators are not formally trained in key customer services skills (e.g., conflict management).
EduCadre’s proposed solution is to combine training in the new ordering software implemented by the ECG IT department and customer service training to assist operators in improving call times and outcomes to support ECG in achieving their financial goals.
EduCadre will deliver four 8-hour sessions and one additional 8-hour makeup session.
The purpose is to provide critical training in the new ordering software implemented by the ECG IT department and customer service training to assist operators in improving call times and outcomes.
The business objectives are to:
- Aggressive growth to maintain or exceed projected targets – doubling this year’s net profits
- Improvement of investment in business and other support systems while maintaining profitability
- Focus on quality and customer service with 10% improvement on customer service scores
- Focus on the quality of work environment and staff development and recognition
EduCadre will deliver the following solutions to the Operators and Supervisors.
- SimplyOrder Training
- Customer Service Training
At this time, EduCadre will not be providing the following services under this contract. Should ECG need the following services, a new contract will be submitted for that work. ECG will not be:
- Providing any training or documentation material outside that specified above.
- Developing an electronic product guide.
- Investing in higher quality, ergonomic headsets for all phone employees.
- Updating onboarding procedures for new hires.
- Updating software to use the most current versions of browsers and apps instead of Internet Explorer 11.
- Awarding employees with incentives for retention nor changing incentive policy from a percentage off to monetary gifts, time off or free products.
- Hiring additional operators for seasonal work.
- Providing supervisor training on coaching, feedback and setting expectations in the role.
- Incorporating SimplyOrder to generate surveys for customers to give feedback about their ordering experience.
Project Completion Criteria
This project to develop and deliver integrated SimplyOrder and Customer Service Training will be considered complete when:
- all five training sessions have been administered
- all operators have been trained on the SimplyOrder system and customer service and achieved satisfactory scores on assessments, and
- an evaluation period not to exceed four months after the final training has been administered allowing for the collection of data and final evaluation has passed.
EduCadre will prepare a variety of planning documents including a training design document, a risk assessment and mitigation document, a budget document, and this project planning document.
EduCadre will meet with representatives from ECG on a regular basis.
|Project Kickoff Meeting||Once||Jane MacKenzie, ECG SMEs (Sam Fisher, Tom Swartz, Sarah Common, Maria Gomez, Paula Moore, Rosalinda Sanchez, Marge Moorehead, Sheena Perez, Ray Johnson) ; EduCadre team||Discuss the scope and timeframe of the project, answer questions and address concerns, and outline participants’ roles in the project.|
|SimplyOrder Training Version and Training Area Workstation Meeting||One-time||Sam Fisher, Tom Swartz (or delegated representative), Project Manager Michael Filipelli, Alyssa Bailey, and Jane MacKenzie (optional)||Discuss the requirements and needs for the training version of the SimplyOrder software and the training area workstations|
|SimplyOrder Training Information and Product Information Database Information Meeting||One-time||Tom Swartz (or delegated representative), Marge Moorhead, Project Manager Michael Filipelli, Alyssa Bailey, and Heyward Gignilliat, and (optional) Jane MacKenzie||List, discuss, and detail operation of SimplyOrder and differences between it and the current ordering software as well as the design and operation of the new Product Information Database.|
|Customer Service Training Design Meeting||Twice||Sarah Commons, Maria Gomez, Paula Moore, Rosalinda Sanchez, Matthew Willett, Heyward Gignilliat, Stephanie Rubino, Project Manager Michael Filipelli, and (optional) Jane MacKenzie||In the first meeting, instructional designers will gather information on call center operations, ECG customer needs, and other customer service issues specifically related to ECG. In the second meeting SMEs will also review customer service training material for scope and accuracy and appropriateness for ECG operators.|
|Training Room Meetings||Twice||Sam Fisher and Project Manager Michael Filipelli||In the first meeting, the EduCadre PM will inventory the training room and determine its capacities and needs, and in the second meeting the room will be prepared for training and workstations will be tested for functionality.|
|Project Midpoint Progress Meeting||One-time||Jane MacKenzie, Project Manager Michael Filipelli||This is an opportunity to discuss the project’s details, address concerns and answer any questions related to the project.|
|Milestone Signoff Meetings||Four||Jane MacKenzie, Project Manager Michael Filipelli||These meetings will provide opportunities for final review of the Course Design Document, Facilitator Guide, and Evaluations (preliminary and final)|
Scheduled Status Reports
EduCadre will provide weekly status reports to Jane MacKenzie. These will include, at a minimum, information on budget, deliverable production, and scheduling, and may include other information. The reports will be provided in writing by close of business each Friday (to describe progress and planned activities) through the duration of the performance period.
EduCadre is responsible for:
- Designing and administering four 8-hour training sessions for SimplyOrder/Customer Service
- Allowing time for one makeup session, should the need arise due to illness or other unanticipated absences
- Developing training materials, including handouts, presentations, and assessments
- Conducting the first training session as a pilot and making necessary adjustments to ensure maximum effectiveness
- Conducting each training session between the stipulated time allotted
- Completing all training sessions before the rollout of the new system on July 22nd
- Assessing the readiness of the Train-the-Trainers (TTT) Trainees to co-teach portions of the later training sessions and readiness to lead future trainings.
- Meeting mutually agreed upon deadlines & signoff dates
- Monitoring the project budget to ensure that things are adhering to the appropriated means
ECG is responsible for:
- Providing subject matter experts (IT, supervisors, and operators) to provide input and review materials for accuracy
- Providing adequate training space and scheduling training sessions
- Assigning the TOs to the initial four training sessions and coordinating attendance in the make-up session
- Printing all training materials to be used in EduCadre-led training sessions
- Ensuring accuracy in all training-related documents and materials
- Respond to EduCadre inquiries in a timely fashion
- Sign-off on milestones in a timely manner
- Requesting additional individuals from within the company or from a contracted vendor should the need to help populate the product information into the system arise
The following situations will constrain EduCadre’s ability to carry out the project:
- The availability and compliance of all subject matter experts to provide accurate and timely information will constrain EduCadre’s efforts to adhere to deadlines.
- The tight schedule and need for the training to precede just before the roll-out of SimplyOrder will require careful scheduling and adherence to deadlines by all parties
The successful completion of the course is dependent on the following external factors:
- Power outages could hinder the ability to conduct the training sessions
- Inclement weather could affect attendance to the training sessions
EduCadre will use the ADDIE method for designing SimplyOrder and Customer Service training. This method provides a linear system for instructional design that includes analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation, and, as such, is particularly suited for repeatable trainings of this scale. Additionally, EduCadre will utilize the evaluation phase of the ADDIE method to implement the four-level Kirkpatrick learning evaluation method. Training supervisor trainers in this method also allow for future customization and contribution by training supervisors during the ongoing evaluation phase, creating a living training that can be continuously improved.
|Milestone or Activity||Deliverable||Target Date|
|Develop Course Design Document||Design document||5/3/2019|
|Develop Facilitator Guide||Facilitator guide||6/17/2019|
|Conduct Pilot||Customer service training pilot||7/10/2019|
|Conduct Training||Customer service training||7/17/2019|
|Conduct Make-up section||Customer service training||7/19/2019|
|Submit Preliminary Evaluation Report||Preliminary evaluation report||8/2/2019|
|Submit Full Evaluation Report||Evaluation report||11/15/2019|
Copied below. This diagram is in a larger format in Appendix A or see
Copied below. This diagram is in a larger format in the Appendix.
Copied below. This diagram in a larger format in Appendix C.
Change Management Plan
This change management plan will provide a framework for addressing and approving suggested changes.
This plan should eliminate any conflicts that could arise if either ECG or EduCadre determines changes to the project’s scope or deliverables need to be addressed by providing a mechanism to identify and review/approve change requests. It should also ensure that changes are economically feasible and are able to be accommodated within the project timeline.
Change Control Process
Suggested changes will be evaluated on the basis of cost, benefit, and impact on stakeholders. A flowchart detailing the change control process is included below in Appendix D.
|EduCadre Project Manager||• Produce Change Impact Analysis document
• Determine whether a suggested change is within project scope, if necessary
• Produce Change Order document, if necessary
|EduCadre Project Manager and Jane MacKenzie||• Distribute Change Impact Analysis document and collect feedback statements from stakeholders
• Evaluate the impact on stakeholders and determine whether unacceptable negative impacts will result from suggested change and determine whether the change is beneficial from a cost standpoint
• Approve Change Order document or direct revisions consistent with Change Impact Analysis document prior to approval
|ECG and EduCadre Stakeholders||Provide timely information and feedback for Change Impact Analysis document|
Project Plan Approvals
|Jane MacKenzie||Director of Catalog Sales|
|Mike Merrill||Vice-President of Sales|